How To Remove Efflorescence From Tiles?
Efflorescence is a white-colored residue of minerals and calcium that deposits on the surface of the tiles after the evaporation of water. If the water that settled on the tiles is not removed on time it moves below the tiles and forms cracks and can damage tiles permanently. Efflorescence is not harmful to humans but can create problems for tiles. It can damage the floor and also ruin its beauty. It is important to get rid of the efflorescence as soon as possible. You need to take care of one thing: never use sharp tools to remove the efflorescence as it can damage the tiles. Read on to know in detail about how to remove efflorescence from tiles.
Problems Caused By Efflorescence
- Efflorescence can cause clogs in the drains and crack your tiles as well. It will cost a lot of money to repair the cracks in the tiles.
- The presence of efflorescence gives an indication that there is an accumulation of water beneath the tiles and this will lead to the formation of mould under the tiles.
How To Avoid Efflorescence?
Make sure there is no accumulation of water for a longer period of time on the surface of the tiles.
Do not use products containing salt in them while grouting the tiles. Salt contains moisture that can cause efflorescence.
Things Required To Remove Efflorescence
- Broom/ vacuum cleaner
- White vinegar
- Stiff nylon brush
- Tile cleaner
- Phosphoric acid/ Sulphamic acid
Procedure For Efflorescence Removal
- Step 1- Remove Excess Dirt- Before cleaning the tiles or removing efflorescence from tiles, it is important to make sure there is no dirt on the surface as it can affect your cleaning process. You can use a broom or a vacuum cleaner to remove the dirt from the tiles thoroughly. Cover all the corners to get proper removal of dirt from the tiles.
- Step 2- Mop The Tiles- To remove the stains from the tile surfaces, you must mop the tiles thoroughly. Cover all the areas thoroughly. Make sure you use lukewarm water to remove the dust and stains from the tiles.
- Step 3- Use Distilled White Vinegar To Remove Efflorescence From Tiles- White vinegar is one of the best natural solutions used to remove efflorescence from tiles. You just need to apply some amount of undiluted white vinegar to a rag and apply it on the tiles. Slowly wipe the tiles to get rid of the efflorescence. Follow this by cleaning the tiles with soapy water. And later dry it thoroughly using a clean, dry cloth.
- Step 4- Apply Tile Cleaner- Sometimes homemade solutions are not so effective for cleaning the tiles. You can use different cleaning solutions at this time. There are many chemical-based solutions available in the market that are useful in cleaning the tiles as well as removing efflorescence from them. You must carefully apply the cleaning solution to the tiles using a clean cloth. Make sure that the cleaner won’t dry and to avoid that you must continuously add the cleaning solution to the tiles. This is a very important step to remove efflorescence from tiles.
Tips: Avoid using harsh chemicals that contain acid in them to avoid any sort of damage caused to the tiles.
- Step 5- Scrub The Tile- After applying the tile cleaning solution, make sure to properly scrub the tile using a nylon brush. This will help in removing the stains and efflorescence from the tiles. Do not scrub the tiles hard as it can cause scratches and other damage to the tiles.
- Step 6- Wipe And Dry The Tiles- Once you clean the tiles properly make sure to wipe the tiles thoroughly using a clean cloth. If you still find any residues and efflorescence on the tiles you can repeat this process to get rid of it completely.
- Step 7- Use Sulphamic Acid Or Phosphoric Acid- This is one of the best chemical solutions used for getting rid of the efflorescence from the grouts. You must add ½ lb of sulphamic acid to 1 gallon of hot water and apply it on the grouts. This solution contains an acidic nature that will remove all kinds of stains too. Phosphoric acid is another alternative that is useful to remove efflorescence from tiles.
Book Professional Tile Experts And Cleaners- Save Tiles From All Problems
Removing stains and efflorescence can be done using homemade solutions. Although there are some stains and efflorescence that are stubborn and can be hard to get rid of. To get rid of all such tough stains you can hire professional cleaners at 711 Tile Grout Cleaning team in Blacktown. This is a well-known tile cleaning company that offers all kinds of tile cleaning services. We are equipped with all the best tools that are useful for removing all kinds of efflorescence and stains from the tiles. You can book your appointment by giving us a call now at 02 5950 6266 – Free Quote Available.